Monday, 23 May 2011

Days 40 and 41: Rome

Well Rome was a major highlight of my trip. that is forsure. the best part about the hostel that I stayed at was that I met so many people. there were lots of canadians there, but I met some people from Austrailia, the US, Brazil, Greece, and so many other places. Saturday was more the day of site seeing and Sunday was more of a wander around with people and we what we can find. On Sunday morning 5 of us went out for coffee and then to the Basilica, which is at the Vatican. We went at the perfect time, there was no line to get it. The Basilica was amazing. it was so beautiful. I was overwelmed with emotion that I did tear up a little bit, I am not to sure why, but I did. as soon as we left the Basilica the Pope came out and gave his Sunday address to the people in St. Peters Square. So yes I did see the Pope. It was really cool, he spoke in 7 languages, and it was just really awesome to hear him talk and see him. my friends and I agree that he just seems like a really nice man. So that was cool, to see the Pope. After that, the 5 of us split up and three of us hung out. Sabrina from the US and Julia from Austrailia, (she is one of my fav people I have met on my trip) the three of us just worked so well together, we all liked each other and just had fun. we went around the city and sat in this pretty park and went around. Sabrina had to leave around 4:30 so we made our way back to the hostel around 4 and the rain clouds just randomly came out and it just started to pour. it was crazy. not as crazy as in Berlin, but still a lot of rain. after Sabrina left, Julia and I went out and bought some food to make dinner with. We made pasta with feta, and had some bri and crackers, as well as a really nice bottle of white wine, (which I am really starting to like) during our dinner time we talked to these two guys from the US and at around 11 the four of us took some drinks and went to the Colloseum and sat there for an hour or so and had some drinks and sat and talked. it was such a fun night. it was just so chill and nice to drink and enjoy this amazing monument. I loved it. The Colloseum is just so beautiful at night, I think seeing it at night was one of my favourite things in Rome to see. We got home at around 3am and when we got there the guy who was supposed to be up to let us in, was passed out so someone else let us in, and we all chatted in the kitchen at ate some food.
Then on Monday morning I tried to sleep in a bit, that didn't happen, o well. Four of us went to the Vatican today and walked around and looked at so much stuff. The two guys from the US and this other guy from Canada that I met my first night. We spent around 3 hours walked around the Vatican and I think we would have stayed longer but we were all really hungry. That took me till around 3. After that I took the train to Milan where I am now. tomorrow I shall go out and see Milan and then off somewhere else the next day.
Rome was one of my favourite place, part for all the amazing people I met, and the fact that I was able to do so much stuff with the people I met. Also because I got to cook food with people, and enjoy that. Rome was also just such a beauiful city. I loved it. I cannot believe that I have less than three weeks left. time is just going by so quick, but I am enjoying myself so much. bye for now. :D

1 comment: